[SOLVED] can't make my member types count appear properly

nomanoma

hi:

i have 3 different types of members that i'd like to show their count separately on my site.

mysql version is: 4.1.22

phpmyadmin:2.11.9.4

the command i run is:

$count= mysql_query("select * from members WHERE verified=1");

$rowcount = @mysql_num_rows($count);

?><font size="2" face="<? echo $fonttype; ?>" color="<? echo $fontcolour; ?>">

</font><font face="<? echo $fonttype; ?>" color="<? echo $fontcolour; ?>">   

<p align="right"><font face="Tahoma" size="2" color="<? echo $fontcolour; ?>"><b>Member Count: <? echo $rowcount; ?><br />

this shows the total member count.

what i want is to add under it the exact numbers of every member type to look like this:

free members: 100

pro members: 100

Jv members: 100

all i was able to do was add this code:

echo mysql_result(mysql_query("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM members WHERE memtype = 'FREE'"),0). " Free members<br>";

echo mysql_result(mysql_query("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM members WHERE memtype = 'PRO'"),0). " Pro members<br>";

echo mysql_result(mysql_query("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM members WHERE memtype = 'JVPARTNER'"),0). " JV Partners<br>";

but that doesn't show under the total member count, it shows far right above! whenever i try to move it or write an html code to make it appear under that total member count, it shows as code and not as it should be.

so please i need someone to write me the whole right code so i can use it.

thanks

<?php
$query = 'SELECT memtype, count(*) as memtype_cnt'
. ' FROM members'
. ' GROUP BY memtype';

$result  = mysql_query($query);
while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
    echo $row['memtype'] . ' ' . $row['memtype_cnt'] . '<br />';
}
?>

will display:

FREE 100

PRO 100

JVPARTNER 100

ok i used your code that way:

$query = 'SELECT memtype, count(*) as memtype_cnt'

. ' FROM members'

. ' GROUP BY memtype';

$result  = mysql_query($query);

while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {

echo $row['memtype'] . ' ' . $row['memtype_cnt'] . '<br />';

}

?>

$count= mysql_query("select * from members WHERE verified=1");

$rowcount = @mysql_num_rows($count);

?><font size="2" face="<? echo $fonttype; ?>" color="<? echo $fontcolour; ?>">

</font><font face="<? echo $fonttype; ?>" color="<? echo $fontcolour; ?>">   

<p align="right"><font face="Tahoma" size="2" color="<? echo $fontcolour; ?>"><b>Member Count: <? echo $rowcount; ?><br />

first: the member types showed on the left above the total member count and whenever i place it under it it shows as code.

second: it shows the total member count code instead of it's normal display as in member count: 100

so what i need is: to make the members type appear under the total member count on the right (as written in html) and i also want the total member count to still show.

can you help?

thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.