Php files not recognised

Hi

I bought a new PC with Vista 64 bit as the OS.

It blatantly refuses to recognise php files for what they are and asks for a program to open them with everytime.

If you select notepad, then close the php file and reopen it, it asks again.

If you right click a php file and look at the properties, the program associated with the php file is 'windows shell common', not notepad.

I can select change and open the file using notepad, but the always use this program button is ticked and greyed out so I can't make a permanent change.

If I go to 'associate a file type or protocol with a specific program' through the start menu or control panel, php is not in the list and there is no option to add it.

Help!!  It's doing my head in!  I need to work on my sites, but cannot access php files without downloading them to the desktop, and manually assigning them to open with notepad every time I want a file!

Any ideas what the problem is?

Make sure you're having privileges to change file associations... not sure where you check that though :P

And don't use Notepad. Download yourself an IDE like NetBeans for example. With luck it will reassign all php files to itself for you.

Make sure you're having privileges to change file associations... not sure where you check that though :P

And don't use Notepad. Download yourself an IDE like NetBeans for example. With luck it will reassign all php files to itself for you.

Only have one account and its set as administrator, so I should be able to change everything.

Nice idea with the netbeans, but unfortunately that didn't work either! Aaaaaaaaaargh!

Do you have IIS installed on there? If not then you need to install that. If you have it installed then google how to install php in IIS. If you have that done then you cant just double click a php file and have it open in a browser and run. It needs to be parsed through the server first. So what you need to do is go into iis find your php file which should be in your web root and right click it and hit browse. When you hit browse it opens it in a web browser and sends i through the server. If you dont want to go through all of that then you need to get an IDE like Zend and use that to run your php files.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.