[SOLVED] action="<?=$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']?>"

gamerzfuse

I am following an old PHP tutorial from 2003.

They advised to use the following string for my Form Action:

<form method="post" action="<?=$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']?>">

Now when i hit submit on the form it simply comes up with a Page Not Found Error as it tries to access the url:

http://www.example.com/<?=$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']?>

Is there a new way to do this?

Could I simply make the action say

<form method="post" action="signup.php">

?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Additional Information (Original instructions)

Notice the action attribute. In a familiar design pattern, which I have called multipurpose pages in previous articles, we are causing the form to be submitted to the same page containing the form code. By watching for the PHP variable $_POST['submitok'], which will be created by the submit button in this form (notice name="submitok" in the tag), our script will be able to handle the form submissions as well as the display of the form itself.

We're also using a relatively new form of syntax to print out the $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] variable. In case you are unfamiliar with this syntax, allow me to clarify that <?=expression?> is functionally identical to <?php echo expression; ?>. Thus, in this case, we could have instead written the following:

<form method="post" action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>">

welcome to 2009!

working with form actions is an HTML issue .. but yes, you can put in a file as the action.

you're pointing the action to whatever script/file is going to be processing the form.

<?=$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']?> is just reloading the page and should be <?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?> instead.

welcome to 2009!

working with form actions is an HTML issue .. but yes, you can put in a file as the action.

you're pointing the action to whatever script/file is going to be processing the form.

<?=$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']?> is just reloading the page and should be <?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?> instead.

Unfortunately this gives me the exact same error with your code in the URL instead of the original code.

I understand that this may start as an HTML issue, but it is based around PHP and these are the best forums I have found for quick and accurate results.

EDIT: Pointing to signup.php and a minor code change in that file made it all work.

Now I'm just getting a Database Down error because I don't have my database parameters set up properly. Need to find database name, figure out if user has a prefix (ie: gamerzfu_user or just user) and get my password.

SOLVED: Used username with the prefix for database name AND username from my bluehost account.

Thanks.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.