problem with inventing pattern for preg_replace

s1w

Hello. My problem is about processing Regular Expressions (Perl-Compatible)

as on img:

regexpsiw.jpg

i've tried a hundreds of patterns, and still nothing

for #1 not working:

'/\..+$/'
'/\..+?$/'
'/\..+?(?!\.)$/'
          \
           yes, this is followed char, I only dont know if
           logic is not inversed by $

for #2

$replace = '/\.[\w\W]+$/';
   $with = '';

preg_replace($replace,$with,$str);

(without returning correct alphanumeric findings for now, but still not working)

others:

'/\.[\w\W^\.]+$/'   
'/\.[\w\W^\.]+?$/'   
'/\.[\w\W[^\.]]+?$/'        
'/\.[\w[\W[^\.]]]+?$/'
'/\.[\w\W&&[^\.]]]+?$/'  //&& working in java, but rather not in php

'/\.(?:\w|\W)+$/'        //or even without []
'/\.(?:\w?|\W?)+$/'  

first idea with returnings:

'/\s*\.[(\w)\W^\.]+?$/'  
'/\.(?:\(w?)|\W?)+$/'

$replacer = '\.$1';

anyone could help me with this?

greetings

michael

You should be able to do that with strpos and preg_replace in PHP.

<?php
$pos = strrpos($str, '.'); // this will give us the position of the last dot in the string -- strpos() will give you the first occurrence
$newstring = preg_replace("/[^a-zA-Z0-9]/", "", substr($str, 0, $pos));
// You'll have $newstring, which contains all alphanumeric characters from the beginning of $str until the last dot in the string
?>

Personally I would do it with strrpos() like pkSML suggests, but if you want the regular expressions solutions (the last one runs another preg_replace() inside the replacement):

<?php
$str = 'file|  .,,  & .123^; ..asd gf@ 4& 1  *5@n%  . #{}67$ n89  ,, & |';
echo preg_replace('~(.*)\..*$~is', '$1', $str);
// file| .,, & .123^; ..asd gf@ 4& 1 *5@n% 
?>

<?php
$str = 'file|  .,,  & .123^; ..asd gf@ 4& 1  *5@n%  . #{}67$ n89  ,, & |';
echo preg_replace('~(.*\.)(.*)$~ise', "'$1' . preg_replace('~[^0-9a-z]~i', '', '$2')", $str);
// file| .,, & .123^; ..asd gf@ 4& 1 *5@n% .67n89
?>

Woops! I thought you were just discarding everything after the last dot.

@thebadbad - nice to see there's another way of doing things, probably closer to 'best practice'

Anyhow, here's how my code changes now that I understand what you needed to happen.

<?php
$pos = strrpos($str, '.'); // this will give us the position of the last dot in the string -- strpos() will give you the first occurrence
$newstring = substr($str, 0, $pos) . preg_replace("/[^a-zA-Z0-9]/", "", substr($str, $pos));
// You'll have $newstring, which contains everything up to the last dot and all alphanumeric characters after the last dot in the string
?>

Thank You!  both of You enlighten me about greatly important thing, that i couldnt find in any documentation or so much commentaries, eg main php manual http://pl2.php.net/manual/pl/function.preg-replace.php - about, that PHP can also take function as replacer! ealrier it was obvious for me it was impossible.

Both solves are working well, but i was affraid that i would have problem to implement either two to my code, finally i turned up that indeed thebadbad #2 wouldnt make trouble as pattern with function stored in array. If I want pkSML version that looks v clear for me, i would have to change preg_replace construction.

<?php
$replace = array('/[\[\{]/', '/[\]\}]/',                //change parenthesis [] {}  na ()
			     '/(.*)\.(.*)$/e',                      //format extension					                     
			     '/[^\w\s\(\)\-`\.,;\+=#&!]|'.          //allow some strange chars in filename _ -() `,.;+=!&#
			     '^[\s\.,;]*[!&\-#]+[\s,;!&\-#]*/',     //format tolerable beggining
			     '/^[\s\.,;]+|\s+(?=\s.)/');            //or cut, and finally shorten multiple spaces
$with = array('(',')',"trim('$1').'.'.preg_replace('~[\W]~','','$2')",'_','');

printt ('file|'.preg_replace($replace,$with,$str).'|'); //own print for debugging
?>

regexpsiw2.jpg

thanks for help

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.