Live chat

poornima

Hey !

I have to make a  Live chat chat feature on my website. If sombody comes to my website and clik the link " Live chat" a window will open on site and same time window will open on admin panel also....

Has nybody worked on Live chat systems ? if yes then please tell me the concept !

Soulstealer, what is this all about?

var obj;
obj = document.getElementById(form_id);
for(i=0;i<obj.length;i++) {
	/*alert(obj[i]);*/
	if (obj[i].tagName == "INPUT") {
		if (obj[i].type == "text") {
			getstr +=obj[i].name+"="+obj[i].value+"&";
		}
		else if(obj[i].type == "hidden") {
			getstr +=obj[i].name+"="+obj[i].value+"&";
		}
	}
	else if(obj[i].tagName == "SELECT") {
		var sel = obj[i];
		getstr +=sel.name +"="+ sel.options[sel.selectedIndex].value + "&";
	}
}

If you're getting an element by ID, why would you loop? There should ALWAYS be one entry.

@Ken2k7

Where is your chatroom? I'm not suggesting that Soulstealer's approach is the best, but it's easy to criticize from the bench.

@poornima

Unless there is a good reason to build this yourself why not leverage something that is already built. No point reinventing the wheel here.

@Ken2k7

Where is your chatroom? I'm not suggesting that Soulstealer's approach is the best, but it's easy to criticize from the bench.

I need a chatroom for show just to say that you shouldn't have more than one HTML element with the same ID on the same page? Well in that case, I'll post links to pages that say that in the future. How's that?

Not necessary, and I'm not saying you're comment was inaccurate... just lose references like this:

Wow, learn xHTML will ya?

It puts people on the defensive. A more productive approach would have been something like:

Nice job on building this as a proof of concept. I would caution however that using the same ID for multiple elements is not a good practice. You could improve it by...

Not interested in arguing with you, just please be careful how you approach people. We want to keep these forums a productive place so that the community grows. That's really all I'm encouraging.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.