Determine how long between dates

sotusotusotu

Hi guys,

I have a datetime field in my database which stores a datetime value.  I basically need to find if it has been exactly a week after the entry.  Retreiving this data is not the problem as I have done this with SQL.  My issue is trying to find out if the 7 interval query is actually greater than the original query by more than 7 days. For example if the original value is: 2009-05-03 22:07:59 and the +7 Day interval is: 2009-05-10 22:07:59, how can I find out if the second is great by 7 days?

Can anyone please give me an example of how to do this, or point me in the right diffection?

Cheers

Hi Ken2K7,

Sotusotusotu doesn't mean anything. I think originally it started as 'sotu' when opening up a an email account many moons ago; then as passwords were forgotten, extra sotu's where added to the end.

Cheers for you suggestions but I just having just tried the datediff function, it didn't seem to calculate the difference between the days/hours correctly.  For example if you try exactly -7 days difference:

SELECT DATEDIFF( '2009-04-26 22:07:59', '2009-05-03 22:07:59' )

FROM `letters` AS DiffDate

The result is -7days.

However if you just change the time values in the 2nd datetime value to a couple of hours earlier, which should be the previous day, I still '-7days' as the result.  Surely this is incorrect and should return -6 days?!

For example:

SELECT DATEDIFF( '2009-04-26 22:07:59', '2009-05-03 20:07:59' )

FROM `letters` AS DiffDate

Any other suggestions?

What you are saying is completely true Ken. Thank you for pointing that my reply was completely stupid  :P

It's after 1 in the morning here so I think I might put down the computer and stop asking silly questions and leave this for the night.

Cheers for the help mate.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.