[SOLVED] phpinfo() parse error

I have tried installing PHP+Apache on WinXP through this tutorial.

I have done it all except change hosts file in drivers/etc because I can't edit it. I tried as suggested elsewhere to open via search-then pick users:admin but I can't save changed file. Now I have run into this problem.

I created test.php page in order to run phpinfo() and I get this error in localhost:

Parse error: parse error in C:\server\www\****\public_html\test.php on line 2

Which confuses me. I used Notepad++ and saved simple php file and it says it's wrong syntax. Can this not editing hosts file be the cause of the problem or is it something else? (( on hosts file it says it was created by Spybot S&D and just won't allow to be saved once changed. If anybody knows a solution for that it would be appreciated as well))

Thanks in advance

<? php
phpinfo();
?>

That is the code in the file. That is why I posted this as a problem. I have run another php script I have and this one works with no errors so it seems everything works fine...but this parse error for phpinfo still stays...should I enable something in php.ini?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.