User editing/manipulating images by pixel

kittrellbj

I have been looking around for the last several days trying to find a software, tutorial, or snippet that can do what I'm looking for.  So far, it has been fruitless.

On my website, each user can create, basically, an avatar.  The way I want it to work, instead of using pre-generated or photoshop'ed, or otherwise "external" images, I want to have it where the user can click "Edit Avatar", it brings them to an editor on the site where they can edit their avatar pixel by pixel, basically giving them the ability to draw it themselves.

I also want it to be able to save the picture so that people can exchange them, and possibly sell them/trade them for "points".  I can design the backend for trading, exchange, buy/sell of these things, but the way to make them in the first place eludes me.

So, simplified:

- I need the images to be approx 75 px width by 50 px. height.

- Users need to be able to edit the images on the website, so I am thinking some combination of CSS/tables/javascript in combination with PHP to accomplish the task.

- It needs a color chart for users to select the color, then "paint" it on the canvas.

Any help or a link to a tutorial would be much appreciated.

• 2 months later...

I have written you a message.  Any ideas from anyone on this?

Basically, it would be a X by Y table (approx. 100 x 50) where the user can click a color choice, click the table cell to change the color, then it would read the colors on the table and output an image based on what the user has "drawn" on the table fields.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.