DISTINCT OR UNIQUE

RIRedinPA

I'm sure this has been addressed before but I searched through the forums and I didn't find the answer I was looking for. I have a db table with 20 fields, one of which is company name. There are about 600 records, on average 5 of those will be the same company name. I need to filter the results so I have only one company name record for each company but I also need the other 19 fields from that record.

I tried this - "SELECT DISTINCT companyname, colname1, colname2, colname3, colname4, colname5...ORDER BY companyname ASC

The results returned every record. I should have only gotten 105 or so back.  How can I build a query that will provide the return I need?

Thanks

Hi

Are the other 19 columns that you are bringing back constant for a company name? If not how do you want MySQL to determine which rows values to bring back?

All the best

Keith

Thanks for the reply.

The other columns are contact info for someone at that company, company url and some internal admin data, so if I have records like this:

company x

user x

title

department

address

city

state

zip

phone

email

url

company x

user x2

title

department

address

city

state

zip

phone

email

url

company x

user x3

title

department

address

city

state

zip

phone

email

url

company y

user y

title

department

address

city

state

zip

phone

email

url

company y

user y2

title

department

address

city

state

zip

phone

email

url

I'd like the results to just have just the first instance of company x and company y (2 results instead of 5)

I'm assuming I am getting everything because mysql is seeing each row as distinct (different name, email or something)

Hi

Yep. It tries to eliminate the duplicate rows, but there aren't any.

You want something like this (not tested)

SELECT a.companyname, colname1, colname2, colname3, colname4, colname5
FROM (SELECT companyname, max(colname1) AS Latestcolname1 FROM CompanyTable GROUP BY companyname) a
JOIN CompanyTable b
ON a.companyname = b.companyname
AND a.Latestcolname1 = b.colname1
ORDER BY companyname ASC

Basically do a select on the table and get the single relevant record for each company (I have just assumed the highest value of colname1) and do a JOIN with the full table to get all the other data for that row.

All the best

Keith

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.