Naming Websites

N-Bomb(Nerd)

Recently I've came up with quite a few ideas for some websites, however I can never figure out what to name them. There's just so much that factors in, domain name availability, domain length, what the website is about/does. Most of the decent names are already taken by people/companies/bots(?) trying to make money off of the good "premium" domain names.

Getting a good name for an idea that's widely used ( my current situation ) is even harder. For example, let's say you can make an image hosting website with all the features as photobucket. What are you going to name that website? The only way you're going to get a semi-decent name for that website is if you buy that domain from someone else for hundreds maybe even thousands of dollars. Why would someone who wants to make a website for personal use / practice pay that much for a domain name? Even if I'm just making a website to practice around on, I'm still going to want a good name for the 12 (hopefully more) people that stumble across it.

/rage

For example, let's say you can make an image hosting website with all the features as photobucket. What are you going to name that website? The only way you're going to get a semi-decent name for that website is if you buy that domain from someone else for hundreds maybe even thousands of dollars.

Well, one thing you can do is use an online thesaurus and look up synonyms of related words that you have in mind and see what kind of combinations sound good and check from there (maybe use a play on words even... just be sure not to lump two words together that can be taken out of context, like pen island).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.