[SOLVED] Not writing to table?

dh526

Hi everyone, just as I thought I was getting the hang of this something has baffled me :S

I have an Access database, with several tables in it. Some of these are tblAddress and tblCard.

Now, I copied and pasted the code from tblAddress 's php file to tblCard 's... obviously I changed all the names and double checked etc...

These are the 2 files for tblCard:

card.php

<form action="addcard.php" method="POST">
			<table border = 0>

<tr>
<td>Name on Card :</td> <td> <input type='text' name='name' /></td> 
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Number: </td> <td> <input type='text' name='num' /></td>
</tr>

<tr><td>Type: </td> <td> <input type='text' name='type' /></td> 
</tr>

<tr><td>Expiry Date: </td> <td> <input type='text' name='ex' /></td> <td>Please enter in the form of MM/YY</td></tr>

<tr><td>Security number: </td> <td> <input type='text' name='sec' /></td> <td>This is the 3 digit code on the signature strip</td>
</tr>
<tr><td>
</td></tr>
<tr><td> <input type='submit' value='Add Card'></td> <td>  </td></tr>

</form>
</table>

and addcard.php

<?php

$name= $_POST['name'];
$num= $_POST['num'];
$type= $_POST['type'];
$ex= $_POST['ex'];
$sec= $_POST['sec'];

$conn=odbc_connect('db09','','');

$sql="INSERT INTO tblCard (username, name, type, number, exp, sec) VALUES ('$username', '$name', '$type', '$num', '$ex', '$sec')";

if (odbc_exec($conn,$sql)) 
{
echo "Thank you for registering a Card!";
}
else 
{
echo "Unfortunately there has been a problem - please <a href='card.php'>Try again</a>";
echo $name;
echo $num;
echo $type;
echo $ex;
echo $sec;
echo $username;
}

odbc_close($conn);

?>

I just dont see when I can possibly be going wrong, but it must be something simple :S I have checked and checked and checked to make sure my field names are right both from the form and from the database...

Also $username is stored in a cookie and works completely in all of my other pages..

Arggghhh, help me !!

try this

<?php
$name= $_POST['name'];
$num= $_POST['num'];
$type= $_POST['type'];
$ex= $_POST['ex'];
$sec= $_POST['sec'];

if ( !( $conn = odbc_connect( "db09", "",""))) die( "Could not connect to database" ); 

$sql = odbc_prepare($conn, "INSERT INTO tblCard (username, name, type, number, exp, sec) VALUES ('$username', '$name', '$type', '$num', '$ex', '$sec')" );

/* check for errors */
if (!odbc_execute($sql))
{
echo "Thank you for registering a Card!";
}else {
// you must set the connection first
if (odbc_error())
{
	echo odbc_errormsg($conn);
}
echo "Unfortunately there has been a problem - please <a href='card.php'>Try again</a>";
echo $name;
echo $num;
echo $type;
echo $ex;
echo $sec;
echo $username;
}

odbc_close($conn);

?>

thanks again dude, I really appreciate your efforts :)

I did what you said, and it was promising as it came up with "thank you for registering a card" ..

BUT..

it didn't actually write anything into the database :S

I'm sooo stuck with this ... as I said before, my way worked in other tables in the same database... I'm confuzzled :(

Erm... (just double checked)

odbc_execute — Execute a prepared statement

Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure.

Can you double check that..!

it can't be true and false!

also can you ADD

echo odbc_errormsg($conn);

just above the

odbc_close($conn);

more specifically...

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Syntax error in INSERT INTO statement.Unfortunately there has been a problem - please Try againabcdeCharles1[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Syntax error in INSERT INTO statement.

does this help??

okay, thats atleast something

lets try something simpler

change

$sql = odbc_prepare($conn, "INSERT INTO tblCard (username, name, type, number, exp, sec) VALUES ('$username', '$name', '$type', '$num', '$ex', '$sec')" );

to

$sql = odbc_prepare($conn, "INSERT INTO tblCard (username) VALUES ('$username')" );

okay now repeat, add another field

ie

$sql = odbc_prepare($conn, "INSERT INTO tblCard (username, name) VALUES ('$username', '$name')" );

then

$sql = odbc_prepare($conn, "INSERT INTO tblCard (username, name, type) VALUES ('$username', '$name', '$type')" );

then

$sql = odbc_prepare($conn, "INSERT INTO tblCard (username, name, type, number) VALUES ('$username', '$name', '$type', '$num')" );

then

$sql = odbc_prepare($conn, "INSERT INTO tblCard (username, name, type, number, exp) VALUES ('$username', '$name', '$type', '$num', '$ex')" );

then

when it fails remove that field and continue onto the next one until all but 1 or 2 fields are in, then we're try to fix those

Ok, been through all the options, turns out its the '$num' field that is breaking everything :s and that field is called "number" in the tblCard table and its just saved as a text field.

Also, this is an amazing lesson in bug finding ! You've been amazing ! :) so thank you :)

okay cool,

well num is probably not a reserved word but in your database it is likely a number, so that doesn't "need" quotes so lets try removing them first

$sql = odbc_prepare($conn, "INSERT INTO tblCard (username, name, type, number, exp, sec) VALUES ('$username', '$name', '$type', $num, '$ex', '$sec')" );

EDIT: bug find is basically checking your input then output, then the middle parts, the output we wanted was either an error or a storage, we could of tried this sooner but i wanted the error incase the error said  something like database locked etc

I tried that, but it didn't work :(

It still does the same thing :S also the "number" field in the table is just a normal text field as if you store it as a number a card starting in 0 would be shortened and the 0 removed...

Your help is amazing :)

PS. Sorry about the slow reply, I'm pretty new here and didn't realise it went onto page 2... :S plonker I am :P

lol, thats okay,

okay lets try (don't hate me) rename the field in the database let call it mynum

and try

$sql = odbc_prepare($conn, "INSERT INTO tblCard (username, name, type, mynum, exp, sec) VALUES ('$username', '$name', '$type', '$num', '$ex', '$sec')" );

if it fails try (note the quote)

$sql = odbc_prepare($conn, "INSERT INTO tblCard (username, name, type, mynum, exp, sec) VALUES ('$username', '$name', '$type', $num, '$ex', '$sec')" );

I know what its like to be stuck, i don't use ODBC much and this helps me resolve problems if i do them at a later stage.

Thank you lots :)

This worked :

$sql = odbc_prepare($conn, "INSERT INTO tblCard (username, name, type, mynum, exp, sec) VALUES ('$username', '$name', '$type', '$num', '$ex', '$sec')" );

Seems like number is a reserved word or something else is playing up ... :S anyway, thank you so so much :) you've been really patient and spent lots of time helping me :)

It makes learning this all the more easier with people around like you to help :)

Thanks a million :)

Suppose you don't get a PHP Recommended badge for nothing eh :P

Thank you again :)

Also, I had a google too, and found this : http://sqlserver2000.databases.aspfaq.com/what-are-reserved-access-odbc-and-sql-server-keywords.html

It suggests that with Access number is reserved and as thats what my database is in (probably should have mentioned that if I didn't...:P), that would be why...

You did,

I have an Access database, with several tables in it.

Well we both know now :P

Yeah went from Standard User to GURU to PHP Recommended, i find it helps me to help others,

rememeber "smart people learn from their mistakes, really smart people learn from other peoples mistakes" ;)

i choose to help others and i learn from it and its nice to help :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.