Noob Zend Questions

BeerOclock

Ive recently been discovering the power of jQuery in my javascript projects, and I'm wondering if there is a similar framework/library for PHP. I keep hearing about Zend but I'm not 100% sure if its what I think it is.

What I like about jQuery is that its a simple file you put on your server and it gets downloaded and executed on the client. Is the Zend framework like that? Or is it something that needs to be installed on the server. In other words you need to find a host that officially supports the zend framework. Because that would suck. Assuming thats the case, are there any other PHP frameworks that are basically just libraries that you can stick on your host without them having to actually install or officially support ?

There's no comparison.  Javascript runs on the client.  jQuery is a great javascript client library that makes all sorts of neat clientside tricks possible.

PHP by comparison is a server side language.  PHP code resides on the server, and runs on it.  It's goal is work with the webserver to accomplish things programmatically and pass web pages back to the client.  These pages can certainly include javascript and often do.

ZF is an application framework and library for PHP version 5 that includes all sorts of goodness to help developers create their PHP applications.  They even include integration that makes using jQuery in your applications easy to accomplish.  One of the often mentioned benefits of a framework is that it implements proven design patterns like MVC, which can make your application more reliable, secure and easy to maintain and extend.

as for finding a host that installs or officially supports it, this isn't necessary. the functionality may be slightly restricted on certain hosts depending on what extensions are or aren't installed along with the PHP installation, but the framework itself is installed simply by unzipping a set of files onto the server (followed by some fiddling to suit your individual environment).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.