Drag and drop re-arranging

Merdok

Ok this is WAY beyond my skills but the client I am making it for really needs it to be as user-friendly as possible as he is lacking in certain cognitive areas. (he's a dumbass)

Basically I've got a list of categories for his e-commerce site, the category list is dynamic and can be added to or deleted from by the client. He wants the ability to change the order of the categories whenever he wants, the easiest way from a users POV that I can think of is a 'drag and drop' rearrange.

I have very little experience with AJAX so this is really not the easiest thing for me to do and I'd much rather do it in pure PHP but I can't see a way to make it simpler for him without using AJAX. :(

I've set up the orders in the database, the columns are 'catID', 'name', 'description', 'cat_order'

Could anyone help me with this? I wouldnt even know where to start.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.