Streaming Video, Server, Performance, Recommendations?

DarkSuperHero

Hello!

First of all I want to make it clear, I have goggled this topic of streaming video, and I am just seeking some experienced thoughts and recommendations.

This is for a project I will be putting together, I am expecting large site growth, and I am assuming a VPS or a Dedicated Server would suit me best in this situation, but would I benefit most from a media server that streams or just play it out with a regular server serving up HTTP request.

Also, if anyone has had experience with "streaming" content or serving up video, what recommendation would you make ? I am actively researching this, but I would like some input.

I will probably end up using flash to serve up the videos, so its cross browser for the most part and I can have more control over the content delivery.

Cheers!

Are you talking about just streaming or a video sharing site where you'll be doing server encoding? 

For just streaming, I'd probably look at a content delivery network (CDN) like Amazon's S3/Cloudfront or Softlayer's CDN.  If you do it right, for a static video site, like a heavily marketed promotional video site, a GoDaddy account could work as the webserver if the public addresses went to the CDN. 

If you're going to be encoding video, definitely a dedicated box, but this is one of the specific examples that people regularly use to demonstrate how cloud computing works well, so you may want to check into that.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.