How to format the 'included' text of a dynamic menu?

tapeter

I'm working on my first PHP project: importing Menu code across the website using an include() function.

I want to use PHP conditional statements (in the included menu code) to style the current page uniquely (using the variable $pagename, named at the top of each page). Yet, it doesn't seem to be evaluated. Do you know why?

Thanks for your help!!!

Tim

The test page: http://visitacp.org/volunteers/

The code:

<ul>

<li><a <?php if($pagename=="home") echo 'class="active"'; ?> href="/">Home</a></li>

<li><a <?php if($pagename=="events") echo 'class="active"'; ?> href="/events/">Events</a></li>

<li><a <?php if($pagename=="contact") echo 'class="active"'; ?> href="/contact/">Contact</a></li>

<li><a <?php if($pagename=="join") echo 'class="active"'; ?> href="/members/">Join</a></li>

<li><a <?php if($pagename=="volunteer") echo 'class="active"'; ?> href="/volunteers/">Volunteer</a></li>

<li><a <?php if($pagename=="contests") echo 'class="active"'; ?> href="/contest/">Contests</a></li>

<li><a <?php if($pagename=="blog") echo 'class="active"'; ?> href="/blog/">Blog</a></li>

<li><a <?php if($pagename=="about") echo 'class="active"'; ?> href="/about/">About</a></li>

<?php if($pagename=="about"||"vision"||"people") {

if ($pagename=="vision" ) echo '<li class="submenu"><a class="active" href="#">Vision</a></li>';

else echo '<li class="submenu"><a href="/about/vision/">Vision</a></li>';

if ($pagename=="people") echo '<li class="submenu"><a class="active" href="#">People</a></li>';

else echo '<li class="submenu"><a href="/about/people/">People</a></li>';

} ?>

</ul>

Are you certain it's not working? I looked at your site, and upon clicking the links, they changed to "active" format. I also looked at the HTML and they've changed to <li class="active">

Or maybe I've misunderstood your problem?

sorry double post, but try this.. it should solve your problems

<?php
$pages = array();
$pages[] = array('home','/','Home');
$pages[] = array('events','/events/','Events');
$pages[] = array('Contact','/contact/','Contact');
$pages[] = array('join','/join/','Join');
$pages[] = array('volunteer','/volunteers/','Volunteer');
$pages[] = array('contests','/contest/','Contests');
$pages[] = array('blog','/blog/','Blog');
$pages[] = array('about','/about/','About');
foreach ($pages as $v) {
	if (strpos($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'],$v[1]) !== false) $addTo = " class='active'";
	else $addTo = '';
	echo "<li><a href='{$v[1]}'{$addTo}>{$v[3]}</a></li>\n";
}
?>

Are you certain it's not working? I looked at your site, and upon clicking the links, they changed to "active" format. I also looked at the HTML and they've changed to <li class="active">

Or maybe I've misunderstood your problem?

I'm only working with the index page in '/volunteers/' right now (everything else is static), and it lacks the active page styling in the menu that I'm seeking.

$pagename is defined at the top of that page, and so menu.php (the include code) - based on the condition, ought to output a 'class="active"' for /volunteers/ -- it doesn't.

Is there something I need to do to include the varaible $pagename in menu.php? Is the formatting for PHP in menu.php right?

Thanks,

TP

sorry double post, but try this.. it should solve your problems

<?php
$pages = array();
$pages[] = array('home','/','Home');
$pages[] = array('events','/events/','Events');
$pages[] = array('Contact','/contact/','Contact');
$pages[] = array('join','/join/','Join');
$pages[] = array('volunteer','/volunteers/','Volunteer');
$pages[] = array('contests','/contest/','Contests');
$pages[] = array('blog','/blog/','Blog');
$pages[] = array('about','/about/','About');
foreach ($pages as $v) {
	if (strpos($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'],$v[1]) !== false) $addTo = " class='active'";
	else $addTo = '';
	echo "<li><a href='{$v[1]}'{$addTo}>{$v[3]}</a></li>\n";
}
?>

This might work, though it's missing the <li> text (see www.visitacp.org/volunteers/index2.php & /menu2.php).

Also, I'm wanting to include 'submenu' links just on the 'About Us' pages. Any thoughts?

Finally, can someone point me to a good tutorial on integrating PHP/Javascript to have a menu that expands on roll-over (for submenu), and can stylize current page?

Thanks all,

TP

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.