[SOLVED] mysql_fetch_row

Onloac

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but what I'm trying to do is check to see if if a row with X id already exsists within a table. I'm using the below code and it doesn't seem to be working. It shows whats in the else statement regardless if the item exsists or not. What am I doing wrong?

$cid = $_GET["cid"];
if (mysql_fetch_row($db->query("SELECT * FROM articles_category WHERE cid='$cid'")))
{  echo "Category does exsists"; )
else { echo "No Category with that ID exsists"; }

I'd like of by saying that a serious security flaw right there lol sql injection easily done with that.

Secondly whats $db->query?

shouldnt it be like

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM articles_category WHERE cid='$cid'", $link); 
if (mysql_fetch_row($result))
{  echo "Category does exsists"; )

I dont think you could 1 line it.

replace mysql_fetch_row with mysql_num_rows...?

yes joel24 is correct num_rows is better then fetch_row if you want to do checks without accessing to much mysql data

Please note I'm not using this code, I used it as an example to get my problem solved. $db->query works exactly like mysql_query() for me as its a function and works correctly and is not causing any problems. I've revised the code to:

$re = $db->query("SELECT * FROM articles_category WHERE cid='$cid'");
if (mysql_num_rows($re))
{  echo "Category does exsists"; }

This doesn't seem to be working either. It's still outputting the else statement even if the row is there. What am I doing wrong?

BY THE WAY, i use mysql_escape_string ()... is that not enough to protect me from SQL injection? They can do it through the $cid correct?

can you copy / paste your complete code?

everything there looks fine, your SQL statement isn't retrieving any rows...

before the line $re = $db->query( etc etc

put in

echo $cid;

exit();

and see what it echos...

if the echo $cid; is echoing the ID as it should be,

try change

$re = $db->query("SELECT * FROM articles_category WHERE cid='$cid'");

to

$re = $db->query("SELECT * FROM articles_category");

and execute the code (without the echo $cid; exit(); lines) and it should say "category does exist".. unless there are no rows in your articles_category table

try this.

if it doesn't work try changing

$result = $db->query("SELECT * FROM articles_category WHERE cid='$cid'") or die(mysql_error());

to

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM articles_category WHERE cid='$cid'") or die(mysql_error());

<?php 
         require 'global_header.php';
$cid = mysql_escape_string ($_GET["cid"]);
$result = $db->query("SELECT * FROM articles_category WHERE cid='$cid'") or die(mysql_error()); 
if (!mysql_num_rows($result)) {
echo "No Category with that ID exsists";
} else {
$row = $db->fetch_array($result);
?>
<form action="?mod=edit&cid=<?PHP echo $cid; ?>" method="post">
<table id="tablestyle">
<tr><td colspan="2" height="23" background="navbg.gif" class="nav" align="center"><b>Editing Category Details:</b></td>
<tr><td bgcolor="#E6E6E6">Category ID:</td><td bgcolor="#E6E6E6"><input type="text" name="upcid" size="30" value="<?PHP echo $row['cid']; ?>"></td></tr>
<tr><td bgcolor="#E6E6E6">Category Name:</td><td bgcolor="#E6E6E6"><input type="text" name="upcat" size="30" value="<?PHP echo $row['category']; ?>"></td></tr>
<tr><td colspan="2" align="center" bgcolor="#E6E6E6"><input type="submit" value="Submit"></td></tr>
<tr><td colspan="2" height="23" background="navbg.gif"></td></tr></table>
<?php
} //end if num rows
         require 'global_footer.php';
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.