Completely new to MySQL

Hiro

First off, I'd like to apologize if this is in the wrong section.

I'm trying to get into MySQL and have recently registered with Awardspace, and began looking for tutorials as soon as I got my account. I was confused to find that all of the tutorials I've found on the net use a different format than the one provided with my host. Awardspace uses MySQL Manager with phpMyAdmin, and apparently does not support remote MySQL management. I was wondering if this is a feature solely offered to paid web hosts, or if there are tutorials on using MySQL Manager. I've tried to figure it out on my own but can't seem to find the material.

Thank you in advance.

Actually yeah, I meant phpMyAdmin. MySQL Manager is just a quick link to an overview of your databases, but it actually makes you log into phpMyAdmin to edit. I guess I should just look up phpMyAdmin tutorials.

I would like to know, however, if free hosting sites offer remote mySQL management. And if so, would it be easier for a beginner to use a program like HeidiSQL over phpMyAdmin?

phpmyadmin is pretty easy to use - it adds a GUI to the mysql interface. But for learning it may be better to use the command line to get a feel for it.

If you install Wamp (for windows), it comes with a command line interface built in that you can use. Left click on the icon in your system tray, go to mysql, and choose mysql console.

I'd like to become familiar with using command lines, but like I mentioned my host only allows me to use phpMyAdmin.

I also looked up tutorials and learned how to make tables for my db, but where can I learn how to extract information from my databases? I'd like to show my tables on my website, but don't know how.

Install Wamp (like I already suggested). It's a local server installation on your own computer. It's better to have that for testing anyways - then you don't have to keep uploading the files to your server everytime you make a change.

Ok thanks haku.

I've been messing around with MySQL and PHP, and installed a login system (http://www.evolt.org/article/PHP_Login_System_with_Admin_Features/17/60384/) for my site. I will need to tweak this code later for my own uses, but for now I'm having problems. I use iframes on my site, and need the login system links to display in my frames. However once I log in, the logout buttons give a 404, and the PHP script won't work with iframes.

<?

/**

* User has already logged in, so display relavent links, including

* a link to the admin center if the user is an administrator.

*/

if($session->logged_in){

echo "<h1>Logged In</h1>";

echo "Welcome <b>$session->username</b>, you are logged in. <br><br>"

."[<a href=\"php\userinfo.php?user=$session->username\">My Account</a>]   "

."[<a href=\"php\useredit.php\">Edit Account</a>]   ";

if($session->isAdmin()){

echo "[<a href=\"php\admin/admin.php\">Admin Center</a>]   ";

}

echo "[<a href=\"php\process.php\">Logout</a>]";

}

else{

?>

That's the code for the user CP once you're logged in. I need the links to points to the frame "content", so I tried to add target="content in the logout link like this:    echo "[<a href=\"php\process.php\" target="content">Logout</a>]"; but it gave me this error "Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ',' or ';' in /home/www/site/index.html on line 96"

How can I use iframes with PHP?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.