Force delete?

dazman

Hi, this is more MySQL rather than PHP but i am trying to delete a row, and it has a foreign key field in it. This foreign key is linked to another table which has this as its primary key.

I get this error message

Cannot delete or update a parent row: a foreign key constraint fails ()

Have I put the FK on the table the wrong way around? I think i added the FK to the child table, rather than the parent. Am i supposed to add it to the parent instead?

Corrected:

Hi, this is more MySQL rather than PHP but i am trying to delete a row, and it has a foreign key field in it. This foreign key is linked to another table which has this as its primary key.

I get this error message

Cannot delete or update a parent row: a foreign key constraint fails ()

Have I put the FK on the table the wrong way around? I think i added the FK to the parent table, rather than the child. Am i supposed to add it to the child table instead?

No rows are coming up.. Im getting an empty set.

I ran this statement..

select address.Country from address left join country on (address.Country=country.Country) where country.Country is not null and address.Country is null;

In this case address is the parent table, this is the record I am trying to delete.

country is the other table with the PK in it.

What i was using to delete the record was:

DELETE FROM address where Address_ID='ADID00000002';

Do i need to add more to this statement?

My bad here, i had another table which had this row as a FK. i deleted that record, then i could delete this one...

Do you know how to do an if statement to run some code if an empty set is returned?

if (empty? (mysql_result("SELECT Address_ID FROM address ORDER BY Address_ID")))

{

<code>

}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.