[SOLVED] PHP / Ajax Help. Popup downloader...

PutterPlace

I am currently developing a music search engine site, and would like some help to avoid actual popups when downloading music. You can see how it currently works by visiting my site here:

http://www.xtremefilez.com/

After you search for a song, you can choose to download it by clicking the "Download Link". After doing so, a popup window is loaded showing you the artist and title name of the song you're about to download. After 3 seconds, a meta refresh is used to open a PHP script which decodes the file URL and streams the file to you.

My question is..how can I go about opening this popup without actually opening a popup window? I'm still somewhat new to Ajax, and I'm not sure how to create a small box without leaving the current page that will do the equivalent of the popup window. After the download prompt is shown, I would like the window to close automatically.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'd also like to add that I wouldn't even mind a commercial solution. I'm basically looking for something that looks like a Windows-Style modal dialog box, but when the dialog box is open, I want all of the background controls to be disabled. And when the dialog box is closed, the background controls would be enabled again. I understand that this could be done using DIV layering? I've seen a few similar things while searching through Google, but the ones that I've seen allow the user to "minimize" or "maximize" the dialog box, and also "move" the dialog box around. I don't want any of that.

Thanks for any suggestions that you can provide. :)

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.