Having some trouble, would like an opinion

Mattio2187

Bare with me, this is a bit tricky

So basically I already have a form with 3 radio buttons that checks for a cookie with assigned IP. This is to prevent the chances that someone has deleted their cookies, or changed their ip, or neither can be found. There are multiple result/returns based upon what the situation happens to be, but i'm really only worried about two: The form has been submitted, or You have already voted.

I would like to have the form submit, values placed in the database, but without the page reloading. Instead i would like to return a message to the user, whether in an alert or revealed on the page, stating that the form was submitted or one of the other messages included as a part of the ip/cookie check. I've tried incorporating a few other methods from some other tutorials involving jquery/ajax but can't seem to figure this one out.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

HTML code:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

<title>Untitled Document</title>

</head>

<style type="text/css">

.selectbox {

width:  100px;

height:  100px;

border:  1px solid red;

float:  left;

margin:  20px;

}

</style>

<body>

<form action="vote.php" method="post">

<div class="selectbox">Choice 1: <input type="radio" name="picked" value="one"/></div>

<div class="selectbox">Choice 2: <input type="radio" name="picked" value="two"/></div>

<div class="selectbox">Choice 3: <input type="radio" name="picked" value="three"/></div>

<input type="submit" />

</form>

</body>

</html>

PHP Code:

<?php

$con = mysql_connect("localhost","mattsol1_user","user");

if (!$con)

{

die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());

}

mysql_select_db("mattsol1_pollthree", $con);

$theVote = $_POST[picked];

if(isset($_COOKIE['ip']) && !empty($_COOKIE['ip'])) {

if(isset($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']) && !empty($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'])) {

if($_COOKIE['ip'] == $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']) {

$ipAddr = $_COOKIE['ip'];

} else {

setcookie("ip", FALSE);

setcookie("ip", $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']);

$ipAddr = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];

die("It appears your IP has changed since you last voted or you played around with your cookies. Either way, you're getting a new cookie. If you don't know why this is happening, do not worry - you did nothing wrong. <a href='path/to/your/poll/mainpage/'>Return home</a>");

}

} else {

die("It appears I cannot grab your IP address and thus cannot tell if you voted already.");

}

} else {

$ipAddr = (isset($_SERVER['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR']) ? $_SERVER['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR'] : $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']);

setcookie("ip", $ipAddr);

}

$ipCheck = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `vote` WHERE `ip` = '" . mysql_real_escape_string($ipAddr) . "'");

if(mysql_num_rows($ipCheck) > 0) {

die("You have already voted in this poll. Good day!");

} else {

$sql= "INSERT INTO `vote` (`ip`, `picked`) VALUES ('$ipAddr', '$theVote')";

}

if (!mysql_query($sql,$con))

{

die('Error: ' . mysql_error());

}

echo "Thank You";

mysql_close($con);

?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.