encrypted PHP code, PHPShield, etc. on a shared host

mo

I have a shared host account (Godaddy) and I want to deploy my website (PHP) files but do not want my unencrypted code out on the server.

I looked at products like PHPShield which looks reasonable and easy to use but it requires some installation on the server and since I am on a shared server I am not allowed to load software.

Does anyone know of a way to encrypt my PHP code and not require a loader to run the encrypted version on my website?

• 3 weeks later...

I asked their support team and this was their response.

"Thank you for contacting Online Support.

While you are on a shared hosting server, we take great strides to ensure that your files and account is secure. As for the source code for your pages, there are ways to encrypt or hide this. However, as we cannot provide support for custom scripting, we would not be able to provide you with instructions on how to accomplish this. I would recommend researching further online regarding what you are trying to accomplish. If there is a function you wish to use, please reply to this message and state the specific PHP function you need to use.

Please let us know if we can assist you in any other way."

What ways are there to encrypt PHP source code that does not require a loaded to be installed on the webserver?

Is switching web hosts an option? I support it on our shared web hosting accounts. I don't think it is too unusual of a thing, as there is a ton of software out there that requires encryption to run. I run WHMCS, which is encrypted, with no problems on our server.  You can read more about our hosting plan at http://hpwebsolutions.com/Web-Site-Hosting.html. The prices aren't the cheapest because our market is people who require a ton of support which increases costs tremendously. If you can't encrypt the software then there's not really any other way to secure the source code other than not providing it to the customer. You could manage all of the instances of your software on your own server that only you have ftp access to.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.