[SOLVED] templating + function calls is it possible?

pkedpker

My question may seem odd to some people who don't know what templating is..

My site before templating was a real mess a bunch of php tags and html code in each php file.. so I looked for a solution and found templating is what i need..

Now i can do nearly everything with templating that is call variables in it.. but I cannot seem to find a way to do functions..

basically here is what I do

loadTemplate(blahblah)
	$t = file_get_contents($templateName);
	return "return <<<TMP\r\n\r\n{$t}\r\n\r\nTMP;\r\n";

now index is like

<?php
session_start();
echo eval(loadTemplate('header'));
echo eval(loadTemplate('footer'));
?>

a template file is basically simple HTML coded website with support for variable with the use of {$varName}

its a combination of heredoc and eval..

well anyways I want to know how to call functions in it.

how would i call like

my old way of doing this

<?php showMemberOptions(); ?>

in a template?

I tried

{showMemberOptions()}

It just echos {showMemberOptions()}

I know somehow I could cuztomize the showMemberOptions function into a template with a shitload of new variables but that will be pretty crazy for me.. since showMemberOptions can show login form.. or welcome username and a bunch of other stuff..

haha this cost me enough trouble converting it all to template system.. but now i can support many different styles on the website and not like my previous idea where I just had to modify a CSS file to change my site looks completely now I can actually move things around in all different designs with a set of different html templates.. and plus now my other site designers who are like 11-15 years old only understand html/css they can pick this up easily.

I can see a big downside to templating.. you have to make many variables for everything.. can't just echo things out like I used to do.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.