[SOLVED] Javascript date help.

pepsi_max2k

Hey all, I'm currently trying to edit a small bit of javascript to get it working with UK dates, and it's doing my head in  :(

The code is a table sorting program from http://www.javascripttoolbox.com/lib/table/source.php , the part in question is as follows, and it's set up to use US dates but I'm trying to use it with UK dates like 30-01-09 (30th Jan 09).

// Date sort
  // ---------
  sort.date = function(a,b) {
    return sort.numeric(sort.date.convert(a),sort.date.convert(b));
  };
  // Convert 2-digit years to 4
  sort.date.fixYear=function(yr) {
    yr = +yr;
    if (yr<50) { yr += 2000; }
    else if (yr<100) { yr += 1900; }
    return yr;
  };
  sort.date.formats = [
    // YY[YY]-MM-DD
    { re:/(\d{2,4})-(\d{1,2})-(\d{1,2})/ , f:function(x){ return (new Date(sort.date.fixYear(x[1]),+x[2],+x[3])).getTime(); } }
    // MM/DD/YY[YY] or MM-DD-YY[YY]
    ,{ re:/(\d{1,2})[\/-](\d{1,2})[\/-](\d{2,4})/ , f:function(x){ return (new Date(sort.date.fixYear(x[3]),+x[1],+x[2])).getTime(); } }
    // Any catch-all format that new Date() can handle. This is not reliable except for long formats, for example: 31 Jan 2000 01:23:45 GMT
    ,{ re:/(.*\d{4}.*\d+:\d+\d+.*)/, f:function(x){ var d=new Date(x[1]); if(d){return d.getTime();} } }
  ];
  sort.date.convert = function(val) {
    var m,v, f = sort.date.formats;
    for (var i=0,L=f.length; i<L; i++) {
      if (m=val.match(f[i].re)) {
        v=f[i].f(m);
        if (typeof(v)!="undefined") { return v; }
      }
    }
    return 9999999999999; // So non-parsed dates will be last, not first
  };

To start with I've no idea how javascript work, so I've just been hacking away to see what happens. The best I have is:

sort.date.formats = [
	// YY[YY]-MM-DD
	{ re:/(\d{1,2})-(\d{1,2})-(\d{2,4})/ , f:function(x){ return (new Date(sort.date.fixYear(+x[1],+x[2]),+x[3])).getTime(); } }

which seems to sort the years and the months properly, but the days are now in reverse, eg:

09-02-09

10-02-09

11-02-09

09-01-09

10-01-09

11-01-09

09-12-09

Anyone know how to edit it to use with uk dates? I don't really wanna use US ones but it's looking like the simplest option.

Figured it out eventually. Add this in to replace the current date sorting code. Works fine for DD-MM-YY.

sort.date.formats = [
    // DD-MM-YY[YY]
    { re:/(\d{1,2})-(\d{1,2})-(\d{2,4})/ , f:function(x){ return (new Date(sort.date.fixYear(x[3]),+x[2],+x[1])).getTime(); } }
    // Any catch-all format that new Date() can handle. This is not reliable except for long formats, for example: 31 Jan 2000 01:23:45 GMT
    ,{ re:/(.*\d{4}.*\d+:\d+\d+.*)/, f:function(x){ var d=new Date(x[1]); if(d){return d.getTime();} } }
  ];

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.