DIV Support - Center content

Drainy

Hi,

Ive had a look through the other DIV questions but I think mine might be a bit simpler (I hope so).

Although I like to think im quite good at thinking things out I am loosing my mind on this one.

I have created a page with a DIVs as the basis of the layout,

a container div encapsulating them all with absolutely nothing but the width and text-align:center set.

a central content container (within the first one) which has a right and a left column for navigation.

My issue now falls when I try to position content within the two columns.

First of all the columns are positioned using float, to position the content I figured I could use position:relative? and then set their position against the contentcontainer div.

Obviously this put them all in a line down the middle left of the screen....

I use position:fixed but I dont like this as the rest of my page is adaptable but it seems backwards for me to code the rest in such a fluid way and then fix the positions of the central content because I cant find a way to position them against the contentcontainer.

What I need is to go, 50px in from the left of the div you are in.

Thanks for reading all that, I am hoping I am just doing something stupid or missing an easy trick.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.