Redirecting Conundrum

So basically, I want to have 3 pages.

The first one will send the user to the second page. The second page will only send the user to the third page if they went through page 1. Is this possible by using header("Location: ) or something like that? I know of double meta refresh but that uses javascript or something? I know that you can pass variables through forms and such, so shouldn't there be an easy way to pass a variable without a form (just automatically) to the 2nd page? Then the 2nd page could check if it was set or not, and whether to send user to page 3.

I don't have openSSL on my shared hosting.

Use Sessions?

That way when they view the first page you can update their $_SESSION['firstpage'] variable or something.

With Sessions you could have this all on one page, and this display only what they are supposed to see.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.