Color Picker like ColorZilla

matfish

Hi, I've been searching but can only find color pickers of which you have to use a palette.

Does anyone know of a color picker where I can pick a color from anywhere on the page - like FireFox's ColorZilla - but javascript?

Many thanks

Ahh, I see what you are saying. Never seen one of those myself. You could probably build one yourself if you were determined enough - it really wouldn't be too hard. Change the cursor to a crosshair, then get the color of the pixel in the crosshair. You could link that to the background color of a div, and have it automatically load the current color into that div.

Really not advanced enough in Javascript to build  something like that but I see where your coming from.

If anyone else stumbles across this post and has one of these, please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

I just spent a bit of time looking into it (I thought I could build one myself in a few minutes), and it appears that I was wrong - it's not actually possible to do. You can't get the color reading of a pixel through javascript. I assumed you could, from that color picker I linked to earlier, but the color picker knows the color of each pixel because it has created the color scheme from which it is drawing the values.

So it's doubtful that you will find this anywhere else either unfortunately.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.