Fast Database

php4ever

With ACCESS or Jet databases that have a nice way to create joins and relationships making everything super lean is exceptionally easy to understand for the most part. With MySQL this would require a ton of PHP coding to keep them together when it comes to searches and such so I want to create all data in larger tables to accommodate more fields as opposed to breaking up each field element into multiple rows.

Is this a better way to build such a DB.

ID | Date | Expiration | TTD | LBC | (then) 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 etc and so on.

In table 2 I would have

1 Name

2 City

3 State

4 Country

5 Donation

6 TaxID

Does that seem like a logical way to make the DB extensible enough to change yet keep performance super tight?

Hi

Why can't you just use joins in MySQL.

Personally I am forced to use Access for some systems and I hate its front end for doing joins and instead just do it in SQL (still gives you problems as Access doesn't use standard SQL for joins and doesn't support checking for constants in the ON clause of an outer join).

All the best

Keith

Additionally, why not use InnoDB if you want support for the FK constraints?  Comparing Access to MySQL isn't exactly correct afaik.  Access is a GUI built on top of a storage engine, MySQL is a storage engine... PHPMyAdmin might be a better comparison for Access, but not MySQL I think.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.