SELECT * FROM .. WHERE ??

Paradoxz

This is probably something simple I am missing, the below code works:

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM $tableid WHERE `THIS`.`red` = 1 AND `THIS`.`white` = 1 AND `THIS`.`blue` = 1 AND `THIS`.`orange` = 0 or `THIS`.`orange` = 1 ");

So red, white and blue must = 1 but orange can = 0 or 1

Here is my problem, if I do that same code backwards to where

red, white, or blue = 0 or 1 but orange must = 1 then it still pulls up

one of the rows that have 0 for THIS.orange but not all (weird right?)

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM $tableid WHERE `THIS`.`red` = 0 or `THIS`.`red` = 1 AND `THIS`.`white` = 0 or `THIS`.`white` = 1 AND `THIS`.`blue` = 0 or `THIS`.`blue` = 1 AND `THIS`.`orange` = 1 ");

Is the code that should pull up ***1 but is pulling up a one row that has 0 for orange and one row that has 1 for orange, in my database I have 3 rows

and under orange there are two with 0 and one with 1 so why is it only showing one 0 and one 1? it makes no sense! lol help me.

Also, I am using OR instead of >=0 because everything after WHERE = is dynamically generated so I can't change the = sign.

Thanks for the quick response, I tried that and am missing something I guess, because what I tried was

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM $tableid WHERE (`THIS`.`red` = 0 or `THIS`.`red` = 1) AND (`THIS`.`white` = 0 or `THIS`.`white` = 1) AND (`THIS`.`blue` = 0 or `THIS`.`blue` = 1) AND (`THIS`.`orange` = 1) ");
and that was a failure, I am not good with the parenthesis, does it need to just be a ( after before each one and then )))) at the end?

You know, I don't understand why order of operations is neccessary, since it's not math it's just saying to query the database where ***1 or 111* or what not, just switches, on or off. But your definately a pro not me so i'm trying your idea, I have tried

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM $tableid WHERE (`THIS`.`red` = 0 or `THIS`.`red` = 1) AND (`THIS`.`white` = 0 or `THIS`.`white` = 1) AND (`THIS`.`blue` = 0 or `THIS`.`blue` = 1) AND (`THIS`.`orange` = 1) ");

and

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM $tableid WHERE (`THIS`.`red` = 0 or `THIS`.`red` = 1 AND (`THIS`.`white` = 0 or `THIS`.`white` = 1 AND (`THIS`.`blue` = 0 or `THIS`.`blue` = 1 AND (`THIS`.`orange` = 1 ")))));

And multiple other variations with no luck. If only I knew algebra or even basic math for that matter.  :-\

Well I have no idea what you're trying to accomplish with your query, so I can't really tell you where to put the parenthesis.  But as far as order of operations:  AND and OR are operators, just like +,-,* and /  they are logical operators.  So they have an order of precedence, just like math operators. 

(sorry for the delay in this, took me 20 min to write this, work got busy)

I apologize, your right I didn't explain that very good. So basically I am trying to build a database for a tool store of a friends, I have all the tools on a database, and want the customers to be able to sort by some unique properties,

(i.e.:

id: 1 hammerp - duralast: 1 rubber: 1 highquality: 1

id: 2 hammerb  - duralast: 1 rubber: 1 highquality: 0

id: 3 hammerj  - duralast: 1 rubber: 0 highquality: 0

)

so I made a script that everything after WHERE = is dynamic,

if I want them to only retreive high quality hammers then I want to do

`THIS`.`duralast` = 0 or `THIS`.`duralast` = 1 AND

`THIS`.`rubber` = 0 or `THIS`.`rubber` = 1 AND

`THIS`.`highquality` = 1

my original plan was wildcards, but that did not work

`THIS`.`duralast` = %

`THIS`.`rubber` = %

`THIS`.`highquality` = 1

so wildcards basically since the only two options are 0 or 1 for the

first two variables but variable 3(high quality) has to be 1

%%1 or %%% or 11% or %11, etc.. any combination.

Well, still no luck at this. So I guess time to start from the beginning. Just as a general question, if someone was to do a mysql query and wanted to be able to search a database for multiple things how would you do that? so I have dogs, cats, frogs, mice, chimps, etc. some are black, white, green, purple and some are tame or not tame.

If this doesn't work:

mysql_query("SELECT * FROM $tableid WHERE `THIS`.`breed` = 'cat' or `THIS`.`breed`= 'dog' AND `THIS`.`color` = 'Red' AND `THIS`.`agg` = 'tame'

Then how would you search for multiple specific properties at the same time as saying let one of them be a wildcard. if I want to search breed=% so i pull up all Red and Tame animals then how?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.