[SOLVED] Database automatically updating?

Tuk

Hello,

I am very very new to php and I am currently working on a website and it is very frustrating. :P However, I'm learning (slowly), but I have hit a road block and I have been searching for a couple days now and I haven't found any explanation of why this is happening.

I am trying to set up a small form so users can update their Ranch name... that's all good, and it actually works for a moment, but if they navigate away from the page, then go back, the Ranch name is set to a blank space... This leads me to believe that the update function is running automatically without them hitting the Submit button... Do you think that theory is correct, or am I missing something?

New Ranch name: <form action=ranch.php method=post><input type=text name=ranchname>
<br><input type=submit name=submit value=Submit></form>
<?php
$rnamez = ($_POST['ranchname']);
$update = mysql_query("UPDATE players SET ranchname = '$rnamez' WHERE id = '".$_SESSION['id']."'");
?>

This is the form and the update php under it. Any tips to point me in the right direction would be appreciated. :3

New Ranch name: <form action=ranch.php method=post><input type=text name=ranchname>
<br><input type=submit name=submit value=Submit></form>
<?php
if(isset($_POST['submit'])){
$rnamez = ($_POST['ranchname']);
$update = mysql_query("UPDATE players SET ranchname = '$rnamez' WHERE id = '".$_SESSION['id']."'");
}
?>

You need to check if the form has been submitted before running your query. The only way to see if a form has been submitted is to see if the $_POST vars exists. Like so

if(isset($_POST['submit']))
{
    $rnamez = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['ranchname']);
}

I found this quote on another website linked below.  It might be useful as well, however, the post method is probably the best.

The common solution is to generate a token on the server every time you generate a form. Store the token on the server, add it as a hidden field to the form, and delete it once you get a form submission with that token.

If you get a form submission without a valid token, it means that the form has already been submitted and ignore it.

This has the added advantage of adding XSRF protection to your project.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/880437/preventing-double-form-submissions

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.