[SOLVED] htmlspecialchars()

Bricktop

Hi all,

I have a function which opens up a text file, stores the lines into an array and then outputs a random line to the browser - it's for a testimonials section of a website.

I want to use htmlspecialchars() on the output but when I do it outputs the full HTML code to the screen.

for example, this is how a testimonial with a link (somecompany.com) looks when output to the browser when not using htmlspecialchars

SomeCompany.com were great at that thing they did.

This is how that same testimonial looks with htmlspecialchars formatting the output.

<a href="http://www.somecompany.com" target="_blank">SomeCompany.com</a> were great at that thing they did.

I've tried with ENT_QUOTES on and off, any ideas what's going on?

Thanks

htmlspecialchars encodes (thus they are not processed by your browser, like you would want) <, >, " and '. Leave the htmlspecialchars out.

<a href="hello-world">Hello World</a>

has been converted to:

and shows up as:

Thanks ignace, but I would like the protection of htmlspecialchars but with the ability to display the output normally.

Do I need to use htmlspecialchars_decode or some other function achieve the above?

Essentially I want to prevent any HTML injects - is htmlentities a better option or will it do exactly the same?

Thanks ignace, but I would like the protection of htmlspecialchars but with the ability to display the output normally.

Do I need to use htmlspecialchars_decode or some other function achieve the above?

Essentially I want to prevent any HTML injects - is htmlentities a better option or will it do exactly the same?

Yes you need to use the decode function.

This function is identical to htmlspecialchars() in all ways, except with htmlentities(), all characters which have HTML character entity equivalents are translated into these entities.

If all you'll ever need is the a-element for url's I'd suggest writing some regex that finds an url in the text and converts it to <a href="$1">$1</a>. This way you aren't bothered with possible html injects.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.