[SOLVED] Query returns old value

n14charlie

I want to increment a value in the table (which is 0 at the begining) but everytime I do query on the table

it returns 0 even after I incremented it.

$query = mysql_query(" SELECT * from session".$session."_".$username." WHERE Auction_Num = $highest_Num" ,$connection);  
              $result = mysql_fetch_array($query);
               $bid_hover_num = $result['Bid_Hover_Windows'];
               $bid_hover_num = (int)$bid_hover_num + 2;
              mysql_query(" UPDATE session".$session."_".$username." SET Bid_Hover_Windows = $bid_hover_num  
                    WHERE Auction_Num = $highest_num" ,$connection); 

the value just stays "2" all the time which leads me to thing Im getting "0" from the table all the time.

I replaced the "+2" with a "+rand(1,1000)" and it just replaces the zero with the random value.

Well, why don't you try debugging your update query? Or, indeed, echoing the value from the database before you do anything to it? I'll direct you to the database errors section of a tutorial i wrote: http://www.phpfreaks.com/tutorial/debugging-a-beginners-guide

On the other hand, you don't need to select something from a database in order to increment it. You can do the following instead:

UPDATE yourtable SET foobar=foobar + 2 WHERE ...

Well, why don't you try debugging your update query? Or, indeed, echoing the value from the database before you do anything to it? I'll direct you to the database errors section of a tutorial i wrote: http://www.phpfreaks.com/tutorial/debugging-a-beginners-guide

On the other hand, you don't need to select something from a database in order to increment it. You can do the following instead:

UPDATE yourtable SET foobar=foobar + 2 WHERE ...

well that worked, I have no idea why my way was wrong though :/

thank you for the help

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.