messaging

onthespot

My problem is that as i use GET for the msg id, that when i delete the message, it uses the id from the URL.

$user=$_SESSION['username'];
$msgid=$_GET['messageid'];

$delete=mysql_query("DELETE FROM ".TBL_MESSAGES." WHERE to_user='$user' AND message_id='$msgid'"); 
echo header("Location: messages.php");

This is the code for delete_msgs.php

It doesnt let a user delete random messages, but it allows them to attempt without an error message. How would I add that?

The following is the code for how the inbox displays.

$userfinal=$_SESSION['username'];

$get_messages = mysql_query("SELECT message_id FROM ".TBL_MESSAGES." WHERE to_user='$userfinal' ORDER BY message_id DESC") or die(mysql_error());
$get_messages2 = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM ".TBL_MESSAGES." WHERE to_user='$userfinal' ORDER BY message_id DESC") or die(mysql_error());
$num_messages = mysql_num_rows($get_messages);

echo '<ul>';
for($count = 1; $count <= $num_messages; $count++)
{
$row = mysql_fetch_array($get_messages2);

if($row['message_read'] == 0)
{
?>
<table>
<tr><td><? echo '<b><a href="read_message.php?messageid=' . $row['message_id'] . '">' . $row['message_title'] . '</a></b><br>';?></td>
<td><? echo '<a href="delete_message.php?messageid=' . $row['message_id'] . '">Delete</a><br>';?></td></tr></table>
<?}else{?>
<table><tr><td><?echo '<a href="read_message.php?messageid=' . $row['message_id'] . '">' . $row['message_title'] . '</a><br>';?></td>
<td><?echo '<a href="delete_message.php?messageid=' . $row['message_id'] . '">Del</a><br>';?></td></tr></table><?
}}
echo '</ul>';
echo '<form name="newmsgfrm" method="post" action="new_message.php">';
echo '<input type="submit" value="Send a New Message">';
echo '</form>';

echo '<form name="backfrm" method="post" action="index.php">';
echo '<input type="submit" value="Back to Home">';
echo '</form>';

Is this the best way to delete messages? And how can I add a checkbox option to this to allow for multiple delete! Thanks

It doesnt let a user delete random messages, but it allows them to attempt without an error message. How would I add that?

$msgid=$_GET['messageid'];

$search="SELECT ".TBL_MESSAGES." WHERE to_user='".$user."' AND message_id='".$msgid."'";
$result = mysql_query($search);
if (mysql_num_rows($result) == 0)
  echo "you are unable to delete this message";
else
{
  $delete=mysql_query("DELETE FROM ".TBL_MESSAGES." WHERE to_user='$user' AND message_id='$msgid'");
  echo header("Location: messages.php");

You do not define what you want to select, nor have the FROM in your select here:

$search="SELECT ".TBL_MESSAGES." WHERE to_user='".$user."' AND message_id='".$msgid."'";

Also, you should never insert user input directly without properly escaping it. As is now people are free to delete what they want from your table.

Also, you should never insert user input directly without properly escaping it. As is now people are free to delete what they want from your table.

they can only delete messages that are to the user who is logged in

change

to

$search="SELECT * FROM ".TBL_MESSAGES." WHERE to_user='".$user."' AND message_id='".$msgid."'";

they can only delete messages that are to the user who is logged in

change

to

$search="SELECT * FROM ".TBL_MESSAGES." WHERE to_user='".$user."' AND message_id='".$msgid."'";

No, that's where you're completely wrong. The code you present above makes it possible for me to delete all messages if I feel like it, not just those that are my own.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.