Multiple Buttons in a form

NathanLedet

So I have a form with a load of check boxes.  User can select 1 or all of the check boxes, and then at the bottom of the form, there are two submit buttons.

<input type="submit" name="remove" id="remove" value="Remove" />
<input type="submit" name="modify" id="modify" value="Modify" />

So, when I choose one of those submit buttons, my form action posts to something like "decision.php"

My array of selections is then posted to that php file - and based on what was pushed (modify or delete), that array of data is then pushed on to a new file (modify.php or remove.php) that then processes it. 

Is this logic correct? or is there a simpler way? 

If this logic is correct, then I'm not sure how to again post my data on to modify or remove...

you can't push it to a new page, both the modify/delete code has to be handled by the decision.php script. this is easy enough though...you can either put all the code in one file, or create a function for each and just call the appropriate function

I think the "deleting" portion can be handled quite easily by calling a delete function into "decision.php"

However, "modify.php" contains forms and that sort of thing that would require a bit more.

Would it be bad practice to set those checkbox values into an array in a session? and as soon as that's done - destroy the session?

um...it's not "bad"...just be careful to clear those out

you can also pass the items to be modified in a GET variable when forwarding to modify.php:

$keys = array(1,4,6,7,9);
header('Location: modify.php?keys='.implode('|',$keys));
exit;

the just explode the values on modify.php to know which ones you are modifying

Personally, I would use similar logic to what you first described - execept that the initial processing page will first validate the submitted data. If validation fails I will redisplay the form with the values the user entered already populated/selected. If validation passes I will detemine the correct process to perform and include() the appropriate processing file. That way all of the GET/POST values are still available to the processing script.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.