IE vs Firefox display issue

Earthkanu

Dear All,

As someone relatively novice in html I am currently redesigning my website and have got it to look exactly how I want it in Firefox. However, it does not display properly in IE. The url in question is

The differences to note are the top right images of the 'heart' and bottom left images of the 'spade' show a small gap below them - I believe this is something to do with the 'overflow' option and have tried adding in a 'style' command to counter this but with no luck, and am not well versed in CSS to do it via that (yet). EDIT: This has been fixed - I was following standard coding procedure of indenting to aid reading, so was indenting

Another obvious discrepancy is the left hand 'gradient' image - IE seems to have rotated it by 90 degrees for no apparent reason.

The final, and perhaps more substantial difference is that IE does not dynamically resize the page, whereas Firefox does. I know this is perhaps unconventional in not picking a size for the page and leaving left and right space for higher resolutions, but I do not like that look on large screens.

I have changed to a black background for the purpose of debugging - it would be very difficult to see the gradient images etc. with the standard grey/white background.

Interestingly these issues vary compared to another computer. I am running XP and IE 7 and see the error with the gradient image, but resizing happens fine. Another computer (laptop) running Vista and IE 7 doesn't seem to have the gradient image problem, but does not resize properly. I am thoroughly confused!

Any help is gratefully received, thank you.

Please can someone tell me why a random user has copied my post from here: http://forums.htmlhelp.com/index.php?showtopic=9389 and pasted it in this forum? I found it by googling my post topic.

Since you have kindly offered help phpSensei the url (not displayed in the original post) is www.adamwestmagic.com/home.php. The problem I am having is that it does not resize the width correctly in IE. I have validated under html 4.01 strict. I would prefer to avoid using javascript if possible - as far as I can tell it shouldn't be necessary as there is nothing complex in the html - it's just a table with width defined as 100%. If this is unsuitable for this forum (more a html issue than php - the very reason I didn't post it here) then please let me know!

Cheers

Adam

Please can someone tell me why a random user has copied my post from here: http://forums.htmlhelp.com/index.php?showtopic=9389 and pasted it in this forum? I found it by googling my post topic.

Since you have kindly offered help phpSensei the url (not displayed in the original post) is www.adamwestmagic.com/home.php. The problem I am having is that it does not resize the width correctly in IE. I have validated under html 4.01 strict. I would prefer to avoid using javascript if possible - as far as I can tell it shouldn't be necessary as there is nothing complex in the html - it's just a table with width defined as 100%. If this is unsuitable for this forum (more a html issue than php - the very reason I didn't post it here) then please let me know!

Cheers

Adam

change the width to PX always. never use TABLES for html table, its ment for tabular data, DIV's is far better.

but for resizing it...

Check the browser being used, make 2 version of the CSS or Template or w.e you have. 1 for IE, 1 for Firefox...etc its the best way...

also for different screen resolutions you will have to resize small amount of things, but that might not be necessary if you check your site on diff resolutions. If its fine with all resolutions then the code be....

I don't see the problem in IE7, so I'm guessing you must mean IE6? Or IE8? (its always best to specify which version of IE you are having troubles with).

phpsensei had the right idea. Create your page with a stylesheet, then use conditional comments to make minor incremental changes that only affect IE.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.