[SOLVED] posting to self.. doesn't work.

AshleyByrom

Okay well I have a page which has a PHP if function at the start to check for the do variable that is submitted when the form (on the same page) is submitted. Here is my code:

if(isset($_GET["do"])) {
$action = $_GET["do"];

mysql_connect(DB_HOST, DB_USER, DB_PASS);
mysql_select_db(DB_NAME);

//Function to sanitize values received from the form. Prevents SQL injection
function clean($str) {
	$str = @trim($str);
	if(get_magic_quotes_gpc()) {
		$str = stripslashes($str);
	}
	return mysql_real_escape_string($str);
}

if($action=="editAbout") {
	$abouttext = clean($_POST["aboutText"]);
	$CAQ = "UPDATE users SET aboutme='$abouttext' WHERE id='" . $_SESSION["theID"] . "'";
	$RCAW = mysql_query($CAQ);
}
}

<form id="form2" name="form2" method="post" action="usercp.php?do=editAbout">
                  <p>
                    <label>
                      <textarea name="aboutText" cols="90" rows="10" id="aboutText"></textarea>
                    </label>
                  </p>
                  <p>
                    <label>
                      <input type="submit" name="button2" id="button2" value="Submit" />
                    </label>
                  </p>
                </form>

Hopefully you will understand what I am trying to do... any help? I'm sure it is probably just a simple spelling mistake.. but when I do this the 'aboutme' column for that ID just goes blank..

Try either changing this  if(isset($_GET["do"])) to _POST

or change the form method to GET

Ya, I agree with cleibesouza.  If the form's method is "post", you need to use _POST to retrieve the information.  If it is "get", then you need to use _GET to retrieve the information. 

Information sent from a form with the GET method is visible to everyone (it will be displayed in the browser's address bar) and has limits on the amount of information to send (max. 100 characters).  On the other hand, POST is invisible to the user and has no limit on the amount of information to send.

There is nothing wrong with the usage of the post/get variables. (Edit: using a GET variable to indicate what type of action to perform is used all the time - i.e. look at the address bar of the phpfreaks forum web pages for an example.)

return mysql_real_escape_string($str);

return has a problem processing values from some types of function calls (it's probably a bug).Assign the value returned by msyql_real_escape_string() to a variable and then return that variable -

$str = mysql_real_escape_string($str);
return $str;

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.