where do i put a new function thatmy code can grab automatically and how do i

scbookz

where  do i put a new function  thatmy code can grab automatically and how do i link them?

do i put the new function in the directory that my items are in  or do i  point the code to the directory?

mysql php5 apache2  ubuntu

thanks

Do you mean you create function or functions to somefile and then you want to use these in other php files? If so..

functions.php

<?php
function myFunction()
{
   // do somthing
}

Then in other files you want to use this / these functions.. just include the functions file before using.

<?php
include('path/to/functions.php');

i was hoping i could have the function called  with no path where it is with allthe other  functions

that php uses

in other words i want to be able to run a program and this function is automatic as with any  other

php base function

you are going to have to be more specific than that.

in Tendolla's example, you can put a common function in one file, and then include that file in all of your other pages so you can use the same function on all of the pages without having to explicitly code it on each page. 

you are really not explaining what you want very well though

ok  here is what i mean

in bash i can add functions

and linux will execute them no matter where i am on the server

if you use the echo command it is  built into php

i have a function i need to use for 10,000 web pages i need to refer to that function  instead of having  the code on every page

i would like to have it work as if  it is any other command any time i need it as with the echo or  any php built in function

in other words the  code will look for that function  as if it is built into the php code

here is my function i need 10000 pages to pull from this with different links

-----------------------

// retrieve page title

function get_doc_title($file){

$h1tags = preg_match_all('/<title>(.*)<\/title>/', $file, $matches, PREG_PATTERN_ORDER);

return($matches[1][0]);}

-----------------------------------------------

I am not sure if I am following you now... but phps built in functions are php syntax and I think that they are coded in C. So there is no way (atleast that I Know) you could insert own function in php's syntax. If the case is that you have 10000 php files where you want to use your function I guess you just have to include it to all these files or create some script that will add the include line to all files needed.

Or do you want to pull the title from 10000 different websites? If this is the case then you must have stored somewhere all these sites. And you can loop through the sites and inside that loop call your function for each site and store the titles in array for example.

right now we are getting into the details of what i am doing

i am pulling titles from html pages only

but the page will correspond to the isbn of a book

so each page i pull the title from will  be based on  http://www......com/1234567890

i am pulling a tag only and each  1234567890  number  corresponds to the data sheet i upload

as i  upload my spreadsheet i use  php code  in a cell and the code in the cell works for a small line of code

if i add the function to the cell it wont work

so............... i am trying to use as little  code in each cell as possible

so i think i will do as you say wget every page to my server and then

figure something out

it is possible i could  grab the titles to the data base  1st and then  use less code but i am not sure as ofyet

i bulk upload 1000 books each upload and my .jpg  files are attached automatically

and now i just need titles and i am done

it works  i have one page done but i am trying to make it  as short of code for each book as i can

anyway  i will see  how it turns out soon enough i figure 1 more week before i am online with my pages

right  i have the function to  get the tags but the delima is uploading the code via  excel spreadsheet cells to my  database

-------------------------------

<?php

ini_set('display_errors', 1);

ini_set('log_errors', 1);

ini_set('error_log', dirname(__FILE__) . '/error_log.txt');

error_reporting(E_ALL);

$file = file_get_contents("http://www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com/isbn=0324183313");

$x = (get_doc_title($file));

echo preg_replace('/^bbbbbbb-/','(10 digit isbn above) -',$x);

// retrieve page title

function get_doc_title($file){

$h1tags = preg_match_all('/<title>(.*)<\/title>/', $file, $matches, PREG_PATTERN_ORDER);

return($matches[1][0]);}

?>

good link ten

but were the  heck were you yesterday and last week while i was making my own function work

if i would have had this link i would have saved my self a week worths of work

my back ground is not programming but  EE

i took fortrane in school

so i know the basics

and  object oriented  programming seems like a great deal

but we need to be able to call a function from our server  some how

bash allows this

you can write a script in bash and put it in  the bin directory and call it from anywhere on your server anytime any way

php needs this

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.