execute linux server commend with php

robcrozier

Hi.

I have a script that requires a very large amount of processing and thus the users browser becomes inactive for quite a long period of time whilst the script executes.  What i'm thinking of doing is executing this script through Lynx on my Linux server anf thus allowing the user to use the web based system as normal whilst the process executes on the server.

I'm a bit stumped as to how i might do this thoug!  Can anyone share any advice?

Cheers

HI papaface.

Thanks for that.  Would PHP not just hang waiting for the response fromt this function though?  Say for example if i cemned the function and then used the header() function to take the usre to a new page:

$command = shell_exec();// the shell command
header("location: new_page.php");

Would the header() function actually be executed without having to wait for the shell_exac result? 

Thanks again

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.