Form Submission Issues

Riley Murphy

First of all, hello! I'm so glad I found this place! My website is almost ready and getting this thing working is the last thing I need to do before it's declared open for business. :)

Second, please be gentle. I'm a total newb. The mistake is probably something completely, profoundly stupid. I wrote a bit of PHP when I was in school, but haven't picked it up in several years now, and my knowledge is simplistic at the very best. I actually picked it up again just to get this site working.  :-[ For context, it's a kind of travel-based project.

Finally, the problem is that it seems like the code below does everything except gather the information. It redirects to the page acknowledging the email submission. It does in fact send the email, promptly and to the correct address. But the email only contains the sort of "filler" text and none of the user-submitted information. I've juggled it around a bit, but now I'm out of ideas and afraid of breaking it more. :shrug: It should be a piece of cake for you guys, though, so can anyone see what's going wrong here? (I checked the names of the fields, and they all match.)

<?php
$name = $REQUEST['name'];
$place = $REQUEST["place"];
$dare = $REQUEST["dare"];
$email = $REQUEST["email"];

mail( "dares@heyhitchhiker.com", "Hey, Hitchhiker!", "Someone called $name thinks you should go to $place for the purposes of $dare. You can get back to them at $email.", "From:$email" );

header( "Location: daresubmitted.html");

?>

Try this

<?php
$name = $_POST['name'];
$place = $_POST["place"];
$dare = $_POST["dare"];
$email = $_POST["email"];

mail( "dares@heyhitchhiker.com", "Hey, Hitchhiker!", "Someone called {$name} thinks you should go to {$place} for the purposes of {$dare}. You can get back to them at {$email}.", "From:$email" );

?>

Try

<?php
$to = "dares@heyhitchhiker.com";
$subject = "Hey, Hitchhiker!";
$message = "Someone called '".$_POST['name']."' thinks you should go to '". $_POST["place"]."' for the purposes of '".$_POST["dare"]."'. You can get back to them at '".$_POST["email"]."'."
$from = "$email";

mail($to, $subject, $message, $_POST["email"]);

?>

Try this..

<?php
$name = $REQUEST['name'];
$place = $REQUEST["place"];
$dare = $REQUEST["dare"];
$email = $REQUEST["email"];

$to = 'dares@heyhitchhiker.com';
$subject = 'Hey, Hitchhiker!';
$headers = 'From: ' . $email . "\r\n";
$message = 'Someone called '.$name.' thinks you should go to '.$place.' for the purposes of '.$dare.'. You can get back to them at '.$email.'.';

mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);

And the syntax error came from that if you copied timmahs code bcause he didnt have semicolon in the end of the line 4.

Same result as it started with: sends the email with only the filler text.

try this , it should be $_REQUEST, you have $REQUEST

<?php
$name = $_REQUEST['name'];
$place = $_REQUEST["place"];
$dare = $_REQUEST["dare"];
$email = $_REQUEST["email"];

$to = 'dares@heyhitchhiker.com';
$subject = 'Hey, Hitchhiker!';
$headers = 'From: ' . $email . "\r\n";
$message = 'Someone called '.$name.' thinks you should go to '.$place.' for the purposes of '.$dare.'. You can get back to them at '.$email.'.';

mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.