Executing php from terminal

regdude

Hi!

I have a file in /var/www/localhost/stuff.php

Then I use a command: "php /var/www/localhost/stuff.php?id=5"

It fails because of special char "?", so if I use "php /var/www/localhost/stuff.php" - it works!

With how I must replace "?" to make it work?

Hello,

You are trying to use something called "$_GET variables" or variables that are passed via the URL (or URI).

$_GET is a cousin of $_POST and the fact is, these methods were both made for HTTP servers, not a terminal/shell or the PHP process itself (which gets executed when you type "php pilename.php" at the command line).

How would you go around this?

Unless you have a very specific reason for doing it from the command line, which I can't think of very many, I would suggest downloading a server stack that corresponds to your setup like these:

LAMP - Linux Apache MySQL PHP

WAMP - Windows Apache MySQL PHP

MAMP - Macintosh Apache MySQL PHP

just google the name and you'll find some downloads.

There are other ways to set up a stack without these packages, but the packages, while less customizable because they use default settings to install, are by far the easiest way to do it. Most of the time, the defaults are perfect for a development environment (testing), but should be glanced over before being put into a production environment (live).

There is a workaround...but I'd use the above method

http://bytes.com/topic/php/answers/491693-passing-_post-variables-command-line-php

Hopefully this helps you out :)

Ryan

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.