Passing elements frame to frame

geudrik

To begin with, let me say that I am a PHP coder, not a JS coder.

We are currently in the process of redesigning our current product interface to work with a web interface.  To do this, we are using Web2E or CA 2E.  The 2E product is for an IBM i7 series data server.  Now, the way that this works is similar to a JIT generator.  Each screen of our product has a skeleton (HTML backbone) that the generator uses as a template for that given page.  What we're doing is using an iframe within a basic template to reduce server load.  The data and functionally coherent components that the JIT generates is all within the iFrame. 

On each screen, there are a row of buttons for functionality.  Their code looks similar to:

<table bgcolor="#FFFFFF" border="0" align="left" width="720px">
      <tr>
        <td>
          <div class="float"><input type="submit" value="Enter" id="_KEN" title="Enter" onclick="name=id"></div>
        </td>
        <td>
          <div class="float"><input type="submit" value="Page Up" id="_KUP" title="Page Up" onclick="name=id"></div>
        </td>
        <td>
          <div class="float"><input type="submit" value="Page Down" id="_KDN" title="Page Down" onclick="name=id"></div>
        </td>
        <td>
          <div class="float"><input type="submit" value="Previous" id="_K03" title="Previous Menu" onclick="name=id"></div>
        </td>
        <td>
          <div class="float"><input type="submit" value="Alerts" id="_K09" title="Alert Messages" onclick="name=id"></div>
        </td>
        <td>
          <div class="float"><input type="submit" value="Initial Menu" id="_K13" title="Initial Menu" onclick="name=id"></div>
        </td>
        <td>
          <div class="float"><input type="submit" value="Command Line" id="_K21" title="Command Line" onclick="name=id"></div>
        </td>
        <td>
          <div class="float"><input type="submit" value="Go To Menu" id="_K22" title="Call Another Menu" onclick="name=id"></div>
        </td>
      </tr></table>

Now, my thought was this: Within the generator there is a global syntax file. within this file are a series of object groups, each with a different html markup.  My thought was well, what happens if I put the placeholder (the line of text the JIT replaces with the above code) within a JS function that would parse this and display it in another frame, and then when a user pushes a button, the iframe recieves the command and continues on its way.

Heres the catch: each screen has a different set of command buttons.  So, as each page in the iframe is loaded, it would have to push to the function and the buttons in the other frame would update automagically to reflect the change.

Ideas / thoughts / tips on how I go about doing this?  Or maybe, has anyone ever used 2E / Weboption that would have some guiding light?

Thanks in advance!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.