[SOLVED] Retreiving non-repeating data

Errant_Shadow

MySQL Server Version: 5.1.30

Here's my problem: I'm querying my database through php to give flash a big ole list of automobile manufacturers that my site currently advertises (rather than just listing EVERY possible manufacturer). But since we might have two cars made by the same company, and since I'm using this data to populate a drop-down box, I don't want the data to have repeated values.

Let's say we've got 10 ads on the site, 1 of them are Fords, 2 of them are Chevys, 3 of them are Mercedes, and 4 of them are Hondas. I need it to return Ford, Chevy, Mercedes, and Honda. Am I just going to have to parse the data once it's in php, or is there a way to query for this?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.