when submit form, textarea loses its contents

eagleweb

I am having an issue that just started, apparently since we upgraded from PHP4.2 to PHP5.0.

I have a db table field named 'content' and a form textarea named the same. The textarea shows what is presently in the database field until you click submit. If there is an error, it show the form and the POSTed info.

<textarea name="content" cols="75" rows="20" id="content"><?php if ($_POST) {$content = stripslashes($_POST['content']);} else {$content = $row['content'];} echo $content; ?></textarea>

I have an error statement like this:

<?php if (!empty($_POST)) {

if ($_POST['content'] == "") {$error = true; $errmsg = "Content can not be empty";} // end if content

} // end if post ?>

Every time I submit this form, I now get the error message telling me that Content can not be empty. I tried it with only a little bit of text, and it works fine. However, it will not work with the content that is presently in the database.

The db field is set as LONGTEXT.

There has to be something in the content that PHP5.0 does not like and that PHP4.2 did not care about. I can bring up the latest content and submit it, and I get the error message.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

EagleWeb

The problem is not in the error checking nor in the stripslashes.

I removed both and even attempted to echo the $_POST['content'] and it echos nothing at all. Somehow, the field is going completely blank.

I removed everything from the field except the first 2 paragraphs and it inserted those just fine, even with the error checking and stripslashes. There is apparently something in there that PHP5.0 does not like. Last time the form was submitted, it was with PHP4.2 and it submitted perfectly. Now, with the same exact content, it won't submit without the error.

Just thought I'd repost his code in php tags so its easier to read. :)

<textarea name="content" cols="75" rows="20" id="content">
<?php 
if ($_POST) {$content = stripslashes($_POST['content']);} else {$content = $row['content'];} echo $content; 
?>
</textarea>

I have an error statement like this:

<?php if (!empty($_POST)) {
if ($_POST['content'] == "") {$error = true; $errmsg = "Content can not be empty";} // end if content
} // end if post ?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.