[SOLVED] Rename image on upload

alemapo

Hi,

I have code which works for image upload and am trying to rename with random name during the move.  I am using md5 to create the new name. Without md5 everything works fine but with md5 I get my new name and it moves correctly but I lose the file extension on the name. Can you see what my problem is as to why I am losing the file extension using md5? I am open to other suggestions to rename the image other than using md5 if necessary. Thanks in advance, Pamela

<?php  //function to upload photo

function upload_photo()  {

//set the file location

$tempname = 'C:/Users/Pamela/Desktop/put_here/'.md5($_FILES['thefile']['name']);

//try to move the uploaded file

if(move_uploaded_file($_FILES['thefile']['tmp_name'], $tempname))  {

print '<p> Your file has been uploaded. </p>';  }

else  {

print '<p> Your file was NOT uploaded.  </p>';

print ($_FILES['thefile']['error']);  }

}

?>

For your answer based on md5(); md5 is encryption that randomizes a key based on supplied information

... md5 does not see the .extension as an extension. MD5 see's it as a string. for example

$variable = md5($password);

if you have variable = md5("picture.jpg");  its going to put picture.jpg out as just a constant string.  That is the reason md5 does not work for this type of scenario.

http://us2.php.net/md5  <-- more information on MD5

You need to take the extension and then put it back at the md5'd string.

<?php  //function to upload photo

function upload_photo()  {

// find ext
    $ext = end( explode('.', $_FILES['thefile']['name']) );

//set the file location
   $tempname = 'C:/Users/Pamela/Desktop/put_here/'.md5($_FILES['thefile']['name']) . $ext;

//try to move the uploaded file
   if(move_uploaded_file($_FILES['thefile']['tmp_name'], $tempname))  {
       print '<p> Your file has been uploaded. </p>';   }
    else   {
      print '<p> Your file was NOT uploaded.  </p>';
      print ($_FILES['thefile']['error']);  }
       }
   ?>   

This would however, make things a bit harder when retrieving the files/file names

another easy alternative is to replace the filename with the current timestamp

Thanks play_.  This solution worked.  I just had to add in the "." as below:

$tempname = 'C:/Users/Pamela/Desktop/put_here/'.md5($_FILES['thefile']['name']) . '.' .$ext;

I don't think I will have a problem retrieving them since the names will be stored in a database - it doesn't really matter what they are named.  Also, using the timestamp is a little risky since it is a multi-user system and will allow for multiple image uploads at one time it is quite feasible to have duplicates (which would actually write over another image).  I think this will work for me.

Thanks so much for your help!

No prob.

for the timestamp, it could be the timestamp, plus a randomly generated # between 0 - 2000 :)

Keep in mind also that there could be duplicate names with md5 hashed strings as well.

if user 'john doe' uploads a file called hello.jpg, and 'jane smith' also uploads a file called hello.jpg, jane's will replace john's. so keep this in mind if you're storing all uploads in the same dir

anyways, hope that helped. =]

play_ you said: "Keep in mind also that there could be duplicate names with md5 hashed strings as well."

I thought of that after I sent the last reply. I changed it to use the md5 hashed string plus the timestamp. Hopefully that will be good enough!

Thanks again!

:)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.