[SOLVED] my statement gets

zoran

I am building a forum, and its nearly done. It was working well untill I tried to get the number of therads listed in each debate. So I included

COUNT(threads.title) AS nothreads,

into statement below.

$result = mysql_query("SELECT debates.debateID, debates.title, posts.debateID, debates.lastuser, users.name, COUNT(threads.title) AS nothreads, MAX(posts.dateposted) AS latest FROM debates,threads,posts,users where threads.debateID=debate.debateID AND debates.debateID=posts.debateID  AND users.name=debates.lastuser

GROUP BY debates.title, ORDER BY latest DESC");

Server version: 5.1.37

And the warning message I got is :

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in C:\xampp\htdocs\greatedebate.com\debate.php on line 21

can you help, please

Hi

Suspect there is an error in the SQL. Add an or die(mysql_error()); to the end of the mysql_query line to see what it is. Obvious one is the extra comma GROUP BY debates.title, ORDER BY latest DESC.

I would also suggest that you use the ON syntax to join the tables together, and also that you have both posts.debateID and debates.debateID when they will have the same value.

Also would suggest you group by an ID field rather than a title (inevitably on a forum there will be different threads with the same title).

All the best

Keith

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.