Member Area

Chamza

Hey, I've been trying to expand this project I've been working on recently and I'm having difficulty finding where to start.  Basically, I have a website like StumbleUpon.com (go check it out to see what im talking about) and right now the entire site is very administrator-driven(all the links on my site are submitted by me).

My ultimate goal is to make the entire site user-driven.  I want users to be able to register and for them to submit links.  I also want them to have a User CP where they can see all the links they have submitted, and/or the sites they have  favorited, much like when you log on at stumbleupon. So where do I start? I know this project will require MySQL and PHP, and I have found certain scripts that I think may be useful at http://www.hotscripts.com/category/php/scripts-programs/ , but I still am not sure how to do this.  This forum has been incredibly helpful, so I am here asking for any general advice or course of action.  Thanks.

What you are asking to do is very basic, it's just a matter of putting all the pieces together.  You will need to learn some basic database design, how PHP handles forms with POST and GET and sessions.  Once you have learned those pieces, you can put it together and make what you'd like.

I suggest reading PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Websites by Larry Ullman.  He gives you scenarios with visual examples to follow along by.  This is how I started to learn PHP.  Once I have started to understand the basics of PHP from the book's help, I was able to understand the terminology of the PHP manual much easier.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.