[SOLVED] Removing newlines from textarea

Bricktop

Hi all,

I'm building a simple application which writes data to a text file.  Each line of this text file is treated as a separate "database entry" and the data on each line separated by ||.

So for example, the text file looks like:

A Name||11 The Road||The Town||The City
A Name||23 The Road||The Town||The City
A Name||78 The Road||The Town||The City
A Name||90 The Road||The Town||The City

This works great but on the data entry screen I'm using two textareas.  If the users presses the enter key in the textarea and then submits, it breaks the text file up so it looks like:

A Name||23 The Road||The Town||The City
A Name||78 The Road||The Town||The City
A Name||90 The Road||The Town||The City
A Name||200 The
Road||
The
Town||
The City

Obviously, the code which outputs the above then goes wrong and everything breaks :(  When writing the data to the file I've tried using trim($variable) and nl2br($variable), I've also tried using trim and nl2br on the POSTed data before it's written to the text file but that doesn't work either.  (If using nl2br I get the <br />'s appear in the text file but the carriage return is still present.)

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, if they enter:

A Name 11 The Road The Town The City (without pressing enter in the textarea box) it works fine and the data gets written to the text file properly.

If they enter:

A Name

11 The Road

The Town

The City

(obviously pressing enter at the end of every line) the data gets written to the text file but at the end of each line it starts a new line in the text file.

So instead of

I get:

A Name||

11 The Road||

The Town||

The City

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.