Proper use of MySQLi (Improved Extension)

SROSeaner

Hi,

I am trying to learn to use the MySQLi classes (MySQLi,MySQLi_STMT,MySQLi_Result) with great confusion.

I like the ability to create prepared statements, but also value the use of fetching associative arrays for the results.

I can prepare my statements no problem, and think it's great for sql injection prevention, but is there no way to store those results into a MySQLi_Result object as well (if it receives results in a SELECT statement, for example) so I can then fetch assoc array from the mysqli_result object?

Thanks for any insight,

Sean

$stmt->fetch() fetches a row from the result set and places the selected values into the variables setup with $stmt->bind_result(). How is that any different from fetching a row and accessing the elements of the array?

You could use array elements in $stmt->bind_result() if you desperately wanted to use array syntax to access the values from the query -

$stmt->bind_result($row['name'], $row['code']);

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.