Just can't get Xdebug going with XAMPP

New to PHP and coming from the Java world from a few years back ...

I'm trying to learn PHP and get writing some simple scripts with it so I installed XAMPP because that seems to be the "way to go"?

At any rate, I've been mod'ing my PHP.ini like crazy and I am changing the one that shows up in the call to PHPINFO() off the XAMPP apache homepage. Problem is, nothing happens when I try to add in the code for xdebug. I've double checked the right version of dll, paths, etc. Also checked the log file for apache errors and nothing shows up. I noticed there was some huge section already in php.ini for xdebug so I just deleted that to make sure there were no conflict. Still I don't get the xdebug to show on the bottom and when I run a script I'm trying to test I just get nothing. Only the static html. No errors and it's not doing what it should.

TIA for any help!

This is what I have added in my php.ini. NO other entries are in for xdebug and i couldn't find any optimizer lines to disable

[ZEND]

;; Only Zend OR (!) XDebug

zend_extension_ts="C:\xampp\php\ext\php_xdebug.dll"

xdebug.remote_enable=true

xdebug.remote_host="127.0.0.1"

xdebug.remote_port=9000

xdebug.profile_enable=0

xdebug.remote_handler=dbgp

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.