Spacing Issue?

wjsullivan

This is driving me nuts.  I've got a table that I want to use to control the layout of a page.  Should be fairly straight forward but I'm getting an extra line/space before it displays the included page.  For example header.html doesn't sit at the top of the cell properly, there is an extra line there and above left_nav.html.  I'm running IE8 is that the issue and if so how do I solve this.

echo "<body>";

echo "<table style=\"width: 970px;\" border=\"0\" cellspacing=\"0\" cellpadding=\"0\">";

echo "<tr><td colspan=\"2\">";

include ('../header.html');

echo "</td></tr><tr><td>";

include ('left_nav.html');

echo "</td><td>";

echo "</td></tr>";

echo "</table>";

echo "</body>";

OK I think I figured something out with this...  It appears that MS Expression Web was inserting a 'bom' character.  I built a new file from scratch in textpad with a new name and got a bunch of funny characters displayed.  When I looked it up it was a bom character becuase of UTF-8 vs ANSI encoding.

Now my problem is how to get the default reset in Expression as I can't find ANSI in their option list and everytime I save something in Expression it saves it as UTF-8

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.