Searching LDAP

Pioden

LDAP questions don't seem to get many responses here but undeterred I'm going to give it a go!

I'm writing a little Ajax/PHP combo to search our college (LDAP) address book. I'm slowly getting to grips with the AJAX bits but the LDAP searching is giving me a serious headache!

My code at the moment returns the entire LDAP record for the users it finds. Reams of stuff!!  But all I really need is  "departmentnumber" and "maillocaladdress" for matches to "uid".

The equivalent SQL query would be simple:

SELECT departmentnumber,maillocaladdress,uid FROM ldap WHERE uid = searchname

(something like that anyway!)

Can anybody point me in the right direction with filtering the LDAP search results? The stuff I've found on-line is confusing to say the least.

TIA

Huw

<?php

$username = "huw.*";

// LDAP variables

$ldaphost = "ldapslave.mycollege.ac.uk";  // your ldap servers

$ldapport = 389;                 // your ldap server's port number

// Connecting to LDAP

$ds = ldap_connect($ldaphost, $ldapport) or die ("Could not connect to $ldaphost");

//Connection made -- bind anonymously and get dn for username.

$bind = @ldap_bind($ds);

//Check to make sure we're bound.

if( !bind )

{

echo "Anonymous bind to LDAP FAILED.";

exit;

}

// This is the stuff I can't get to work!	

//	$filter="(|(uid=$username*))";

//	$justthese = array("uid", "departmentnumber", "maillocaladdress"); 

$search =  ldap_search($ds, "dc=mycollege,dc=ac,dc=uk", "uid=$username"/*$filter, $justthese*/);

$info = ldap_get_entries($ds, $search);

print_r ($search);

?>

OK. I'm still hoping for replies - but I've also made a little progress!

I've managed to filter out most of the info I don't need by modifying the query with some filtering

$justthese = array("uid", "departmentnumber", "maillocaladdress"); 

$search =  ldap_search($ds, "dc=mycollege,dc=ac,dc=uk", "uid=$username", $justthese);

$info = ldap_get_entries($ds, $search);

print_r ($info);

This gives me all the data I need - but with a whole bunch of array info. Here's a snippet.

Array ( [count] => 2 [0] => Array ( [uid] => Array ( [count] => 1 [0] => username1 ) [0] => uid [maillocaladdress] => Array ( [count] => 1 [0] => useremail ) [1] => maillocaladdress [departmentnumber] => Array ( [count] => 1 [0] => Engineering ) [2] => departmentnumber [count] => 3 [dn] => uid=username,ou=Users,dc=mycollege,dc=ac,dc=uk ) 

So the follow on question is how do I turn this into something useful? Is this a job for 'foreach' ? Sorry my brain is pretty fried at the moment!!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.